As a teenager, one of my favorite places to eat was California Pizza Kitchen. Founded in 1985, they’ve grown to over 260 restaurants.
Unfortunately, the closest store is almost 2 hours away, so it’s a rare treat when I get to indulge in a yearly visit to CPK.
EVERY time my husband and I venture into the DFW area in search of my beloved pizza haven, I don’t even open the menu. I order the Chicken Tostada Pizza (shown on the left), and for an appetizer we order the Focaccia Bread with Checca. Although I’m the only one in my family of 6 who likes tomatoes…my kids and hubby LOVE the bread.
I bought a loaf of Italian Bread from the Bakery at HEB, unsure exactly what I would do with it.
Later that afternoon I decided to try making CPK’s Checca myself and chance that it would pair well with the bread.
What to buy from the store:
*French or Italian bread (or make your own)
*Tomatoes, I bought a plastic container filled with pre-cut diced tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes would be best.
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*Minced Garlic or Garlic Seasoning
1. If your tomatoes aren’t pre-cut, dice your tomatoes and spoon the amount of tomatoes you want into a small bowl (reference photo above).
2. Add olive oil. It should coat the tomatoes but there shouldn’t be so much that it pools in the bottom of the bowl. The amount of oil you use is proportionate to the amount of tomatoes you use.
3. Cut up some fresh basil. Cut it in very small pieces and to taste.
4. Add some garlic/rosemary seasoning. I recommend purchasing a seasoning similar to the one pictured above. (This seasoning is great for adding to olive oil for dipping as an appetizer or snack.)
5. Add salt to taste. Sea salt or table salt can be used.
6. Refrigerate for 30 min.
7. Place the loaf of bread on a baking tray and bake 5-7 min at 350 degrees. I used my toaster oven!
This recipe is largely to taste, and mostly what you need to know is the ingredients.
Have you ever heard of CPK? What’s your favorite menu item?
Playlist for this post: Age of Worry- John Mayer, You’re not Sorry- Taylor Swift, Georgia- John Mayer, Titanium- Boyce Avenue, Heaven Breaks- Sleeping at Last, Stop this Train- John Mayer, Slumber- Need to Breathe, Call me Maybe- Boyce Avenue, You Found Me- Kelly Clarkson, Suds in the Bucket- Sara Evans, Ma Fleur- The Cinematic Orchestra, With a Wink and a Smile- Harry Connick Jr, Image-Autumn-Womb – Goldmund, Victoria-John Mayer, Summer Candy-Ben Rector, Tango de Roxanne- Moulin Rouge Soundtrack, Alive- Krewella, Wrapped- Pat Green, Samson- Regina Spektor