Yipee!! I’ve been awarded the Liebster Award!
The Liebster Award is a pretty neat little award given to bloggers with somewhere between 200-3,000 followers who are on the right track/ who are up and coming. The Liebster award is more of a game than and award in my opinion. It’s very encouraging to receive it though, because the person awarding it has to consider if you are worthwhile. The best awards are those received by your peers and colleagues.
So, to the bloggers of WordPress, I say Thank You! and an extra dose of Thanks to The Natty Brat who nominated me for the award.
This Award is heavily focused on helping bloggers connect and get to know one another better.
As part of this award, I must give ten (10) facts about myself, answer the ten (10) questions that The Natty Brat has posted to her award winners, and then post ten (10) questions of my own to the ten (10) blogs that I nominated.
Ten Facts about Scully Speaks
1. My real name is Lauren. I was given the nickname “Scully” in 6th grade by a friend of mine, Tori Oman. Scully is derived from my maiden name, which I would love to tell you…but I’d have to kill you. 🙂
2. I love ALL types of music. There are several songs in EVERY genre I enjoy..except polka 🙂 Most people will say something like “You can’t love ALL types”…once you get to know me, you will see, I really do. Music is my passion. I sang in choir, played piano at home, and played flute in band, basically I did everything music related I could get my hands on until I got married. Singing was once a dream of mine that I have put to the side.
3. I have a dog named, Deuce. He’s a 7 year old chiweenie (chihuahua/ dachshund). I named him Deuce because another word for a curve ball is “deuce.”
4. I freaking LOVE the game of baseball and have been watching the Texas Rangers since 1992 or so.
5. My dad passed away when I was 20 years old. It was the single most destructive and difficult thing I’ve been through. I’ve resolved my emotions there, and I am stronger because of it, although I miss him everyday.
6. I have 4 children. Twin 10 year old girl, a 5 year old girls, and a 2 year old boy. The twins aren’t biologically mine, but they are mine in everyway that matters. My husband and I have made a lot of financial sacrifices so that I can stay at home and raise all of them.
7. True Blood, Vampire Diaries, and So You Think You Can Dance and Mistresses are my favorite shows. I pretty much hate TV for the most part, but my husband and I watch these 4 shows together regularly.
8. Jefferson Bethke, Jenna Marbles, Wayne Goss and Kandy Johnson are my FAVORITE YouTube personalities. I realize that puts me on 2 very different ends of the spectrum. Don’t judge. I love people, and these happen to be 3 people I relate to. Very simple.
9. I’ve lived in Texas my entire life...except for the fall of 2006, I lived in Boston, MA.
10. I am writing this blog for YOU. Whoever you are, whatever you are doing, I love something about you already.
Ten Questions from The Natty Brat:
1. If you had a son and a daughter, what would their names be and why? If you already have a son and a daughter, what are their names and why? Skylar, Seaira, Payton, Josh. Skylar and Seaira, I did not name, my husband and his ex-wife did. Payton- I first heard the name when I worked as a teacher at a Daycare while I went to TCU in 2003. There was a little girl named Payton, and I ADORED her. I also loved the name Payton from One Tree Hill. Josh (Joshua)- I named him after former Texas Ranger, Josh Hamilton. My husband and I love his story of perseverance, not to mention his talent when he stays out of his head.
2. If you could pick any country to live in, what would it be and why? Puerto Rico, hands down. I’ve been there 3 times, and I love the culture there. It’s a beautiful place with even more beautiful people.
3. Name one law that you feel should be changed in this country and why. I hope I don’t lose readers over this…but I believe people should be able to marry whom ever they love. I believe in marriage equality. Your partner should have a voice no matter who they are. Yep, a conservative Christian who believes in marriage equality 🙂
There are a few funny laws Texans could deal without as well: *It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing. *Up to a felony charge can be levied for promoting the use of, or owning more than six dildos. *It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel. *It is illegal to milk another person’s cow
4. Out of all the award shows, which one would you like to attend and why? The Grammy’s…seeing all those musicians would probably make me faint, but I would still love to try!
5. Which food item would you like to see grow in popularity in restaurants and why? Pho! I love many types of Asian cuisine…and I think that restaurants should stop charging parent’s for children’s milk refills. They should get at least 1 refill free of charge.
6. If you could do one thing to help better the world, what would it be and why? Feed all the hungry people. Enough said.
7. If you were given a million dollars and told you had to spend it all in one year, what would you do? Buy a home, 2 cars, invest in my children’s college fund, tithe, and donate some to the Bret Scullion Foundation.
8. If you took in five strangers to live in your home, what would your house rules be and why? This is too personal and way too long of a list, it would depend on who. Move in…I’ll letcha know!
9. If you could create one item to sell to the world, what would it be and why? A product that removes smoke smell from cigarettes. My husband smokes, and it makes EVERYTHING (hair, clothes, etc.) smell like it, even though he does it outside.
10. If you had to choose between a significant other who was beautiful but did not have much of a personality, or one that was a little hard on the eyes but had a huge personality, which would you go with and why? Personality. All beauty fades, even the most glorious.
Questions for the blogs I’ve nominated:
1. Who do you love most in your life?
2. Which 3 items would you take to a deserted island?
3. What is your favorite charity?
4. Why do you blog?
5. If you have children, how many and I why did you name them what you did? If you don’t have children, what would you name your future children if you had to name them right now?
6. What is the first concert you ever went to and how old were you? If you’ve never gone, who would you want to see?
7. How much money would you pay to be front and center at the event of your choice? (I.e. world series, super bowl, concert, world cup, broadway musical, etc)
8. What’s your favorite YouTube channel?
9. Describe Scully Speaks blog using 5 adjectives.
10. In your opinion, does time heal all wounds?
THE END! I present to you, my 10 nominees for the Liebster Award:
Playlist this post was written to: Bright and Early- Sleeping at Last, GoneGone Gone- Phillip Phillips, Lay Me Down- The Oh Hellos, Red Light- David Nail, While you Loved me- Rascal Flatts, 5:19- Matt Wertz, Love Done Gone- Billy Currington, Texas Rain- Sleeperstar, No Room to Grow- Olivine, Down- Mat Kearney, Hold on, I’m coming- Michael Bolton, Fireflies- Owl City, Barricades- Pat Green, Consuming Fire- Third Day, Cry you Heart- Olly Murs, Don’t Leave Yet- Need to Breathe, The Mess I Made- Parachute, Loud and Clear- Olly Murs, In Repair (Acoustic)- John Mayer, Tonight I Wanna Cry- Keith Urban, We’re Still Here- Sleeping at Last, Little Lies- Dave Barnes, Everybody Lies- Jason Walker, I didn’t mean it- The Belle Brigade, Midnight Starlight- Jason Walker, Holding on and Letting Go- Ross Copperman, Breathe- Ryann Starre